Family Photo

Family Photo

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Critter Costume Party

Grant and I had a very busy day yesterday. After the soccer game, we went to lunch with everyone in Grant's cheering section. Then we went home, dropped off Roger and Beckett (Beckett hasn't been feeling 100% and so he needed a nap), then Grant and I went to a Critter Costume Party at one of the local nature preserves.

I wasn't really sure what to expect at the "party," but once again, I wasn't disappointed with this class. Each of the kids was able to choose a costume to wear. After deciding not to be a racoon, Grant settled on a fox.


The beginning of the class was a bit disorganized. I am not sure if the teacher was just waiting for all the participants to arrive or if she decided not to do the original activities. The extra time allowed the kids to roam around the area and one of the little girls found this huge praying mantis. It was definitely the biggest one that I had ever seen...pretty cool.


Then the class started. Along the path in the woods were hidden cauldrons and pumpkins. Inside was something about each of the animals represented in the costumes. After a brief talk about the animal, the kids were given a "surprise" - a memory card game, bubbles, jumping spiders, bats and a few other Halloweeny things. Grant loved searching in the woods for the cauldrons and pumpkins.


 Learning about the red fox.

Rabbit footprints. I was amazed at how attentive Grant was. Many of the kids were wandering off or picking things off the ground. Grant listened to most of the mini-lesson...but then was also one of the first to wonder what the "surprise" was. :-)

A little bit of video from the day.

After the Critter Costume Party, Grant and I stopped a few stores to get things for the first of his 2 birthday parties - the friend birthday party. We decided to do a Halloween themed party with a pinata. So he was excited to pick out decorations and things for the pinata. We also found a costume for him. He originially wanted to be a bat...but now he is going to be Batman. We found a cheap costume at WalMart with a cool mask and body suit. The cape leaves much to be desired, so I think that I will make him a better cape. He has already worn the costume, mask and all, around the house and even wore it outside under his clothes. Beckett is still undecided, although Roger and I think he should be Robin. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment