Family Photo

Family Photo

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Oh Beckett....

At 6 am on February 12th, while Roger was out of town, the boys decided it was a great time to see if they could make the leap from the top bunk to the couch in their room. Well, Beckett didn't quite make it and he "cracked" his ankle on the edge of the couch.

After dropping Grant off at school, Beckett and I headed to Urgent Care. After several X-Rays it was determined to not be broken...as far as they could tell. So we headed home. Luckily we have amazing neighbors and were able to borrow crutches and a knee scooter.

Beckett went to school the next day and luckily it was the day of their Valentine's party. One of the moms at the party is a podiatrist. She examined his ankle and said she thought it might be a growth plate injury. So, being the amazing person she is, she went to her office and picked up a boot for him. We went in for more X-Rays this past Monday and yep, growth plate injury. So he will be on crutches for a total of 4 weeks and in the boot for a total of 5 weeks. Ugh.

It's been  a long couple of weeks and I can't believe we have 2-3 more. Beckett is not a kid that likes to sit still and so he is constantly pushing it. Here are a couple of examples:

For the first few days, we let him have the knee scooter at school. But after he told me that he "got it up on 2 wheels around the corner" we decided it might not be a great idea.

We went for a walk the other day. On the way home I was stopped by a neighbor and so Beckett and Grant scooted home. A couple of minutes later Grant comes running up to me - "Mom...Beckett..." I stopped him because he was interupting my conversation. Next think I know Beckett comes tearing around the corner on his 360 Razor bike yelling "Look mom!! I can still ride this bike!"

Everyday Beckett has a friend helper...someone to get his markers, papers, whatever. Everyday he takes a major tumble/fall because he gets up to get things on his own. While I admire his desire to be independent, I am much more concerned about his ankle.

So we have 2 more weeks on crutches. Then for spring break he will be walking in the boot. Soccer will be played in an ankle brace. And I have a feeling the bunk beds will be debunked for awhile.

 At Urgent Care

 The day it happened

 The next day headed to school on his knee scooter

 After a day at school - YIKES!

 Now with a boot

His X-Ray. See that little bone that looks like a gumdrop? It's supposed to be straight up and down...his tilts out to the right. The doctor is hoping to strengthen his ligaments so it doesn't tilt out anymore.

Video of Beckett on the knee scooter and crutches. This was taken awhile ago. He's actually much faster on the crutches now...unfortunately.


No comments:

Post a Comment